Dec 19, 2009

"Those Winter Sundays" by Robert Hayden (The Poetry Foundation)


Here is Robert Hayden’s “Those Winter Sundays.” It’s not primarily about any religious holiday, but consists of nicely understated praise for a father along with a confession of regret. We see modest lives, along with childish self-absorption and the need to repent that later on. The honoring of the father is grounded in no holiday fairy tale, but in reality, including the mysterious and perhaps under-explained “chronic angers of that house.”

I had to choose between winter and Father’s Day as the right time for this poem. With all the holiday hullaballoo and fru-fru out there, I chose now.

I have at least two more father poems in mind, one complimentary, one or two others, not so much. Stay tuned.

Those Winter Sundays by Robert E. Hayden : The Poetry Foundation [poem] : Find Poems and Poets. Discover Poetry.

2 comments:

Brenda's Arizona said...

Ouch.
It hurts just to read it. I feel the child's indifference. Ouch.

As a child I was taught that the opposite of LOVE isn't HATE. The opposite of LOVE is INDIFFERENCE.

Ouch, I still say. I hope the kid grew up and hugged his dad someday, tho I worry about the chronic anger in the house...

Banjo52 said...

Brenda, I bet Hayden would find that a great response. I don't know his bio or his work thoroughly, but I have the impression he received plenty of indifference as a poet.

I hear the speaker as an adult looking back on it, so maybe your hope for the kid has panned out.

Lovers' Lane