Nov 26, 2010

Faces, Feet, Voices in the Crowd


Turkey and carb hangover? If these faces and the first three minutes of this video don't rouse you, see a doctor.



YouTube - Best Bluegrass Clog Dancing Video Ever Made



Yes, I think they've all appeared here before, but long ago.
And speaking of leftovers, I have no news, so here are two-day-old visitor comments from the November 24 post about Hopkins and hawks. It was a pleasant conversation, so why stop?
Blogger Jean Spitzer said...
I'm enamored of "miasma of insanities." Think I'll just enjoy that and come back later for more. Happy Thanksgiving!
November 24, 2010 5:35 PM
Delete
Blogger BANJO52 said...
Jean, thanks. I've gotta admit, I liked it too. Maybe there really are muses, though mine are certainly part time at best.
November 24, 2010 9:09 PM
Delete
Blogger Birdman said...
Graceful bird... a beauty.
November 25, 2010 2:05 PM
Delete
Blogger altadenahiker said...
"Miasma" is one of them thar words I had herd tell about, but never new the meaning thereov. Still don't. Happy Thanksgiving, Banjo. Thanks for all the good poetry.
November 25, 2010 2:45 PM
Delete
Blogger LD said...
Indeed holidays can be a challenge but they don't seem to be going anywhere so I might as well ride with the tide..love that falcon by the way!
November 25, 2010 6:35 PM
Delete
Blogger Jean Spitzer said...
Came back, listened to the cute kids, read the poem, read the Hopkins' biography on the poetry site. Fascinating: Victorian seeking the way through giving up most worldly pleasures. And then he dies from polluted water.
November 26, 2010 12:08 PM
Delete
Blogger Brenda's Arizona said...
Love the photo, Banjomyn. Your back yard? Are such big birds common in your neck of the woods? Hopkins alliteration is distracting? Almost enough to make you fall for it... and to expect it in every line of his poem. Is he longing to be a falcon? Putting cameras on the big birds backs - interesting. But it is easier to admire the bird's skill and grace from the ground, don't ya think? Happy leftovers in all the miasma of insanity!

AH, I was a little off on "miasma" too; looked it up before posting and it turned out I was close enough to keep it.

LD, I heard this piece of wisdom somewhere: You can do the holidays or let them do you. But such control is easier said than done?

Jean, thanks for the bio info on Hopkins. I knew he died from illness, but polluted water is new to me. He's one of my stars, mainly for several of his shorter poems like this one, but I know little about his life--a sad one, I suspect. I did learn recently that, although he was a Jesuit priest, he was "only" Catholic by conversion. Maybe he did nothing halfway?

Birdman and Brenda, the hawk in photo was in Florida, but I did have my second backyard hawk event two days ago, shortly after posting this. Once again, karma, or one of karma's cousins. I looked out and there s/he was, a Cooper's hawk, sitting on the bird bath. I tried to sneak to the camera, but was seen, so bye-bye, hawk.




So, Brenda, I can’t say hawks are common in the Detroit ‘burbs, but they do show up.

With Hopkins, alliteration and all kinds of play with sound are abundant, some would say excessive. So (Jean), in one more way, maybe Hopkins just isn’t a halfway kinda guy. Maybe he sets himself up for sneering from some 21st century readers, but I’d much rather have his kind of excess in richness of imagery and sound than the other extreme (speaking of minimalism, as we were two posts ago. Pierre, and PA, are you here today?).


AH, you have the worthy cause of pet rescue in your arsenal, but I have a zoom lens.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Indeed, you do. My dogs would pay good money for a photographer such as you.

Jean Spitzer said...

These are fabulous animal photos. You probably even use a tripod!

My favorite is the owl in the greenery.

Banjo52 said...

Thanks, you two. Too generous, but I'll take 'em. AH, your dog poses are sometimes hysterical. Jean, no, no tripod. I could probably get sharper results that way, but it would become a chore.

The owl was up not too long ago, got some raves, so I shamelessly put him up again. As I said then, I could see him with the naked eye, but not through the zoom, so I just kept shooting at the place people seemed to be pointing. Nobody was more surprised than I was that I actually caught him. Some skill, eh?

Birdman said...

I love the hat bouncing along with the music at the start of the video. Looked like a fun time from the faces.

Pasadena Adjacent said...

I'm back! I took off last Wednesday. Road trip. Got back today.

I'm so glad you posted the clogging dance. It's one of my favorites. So have you watched the Charlie Rose episode? That A is dangling from a berry/trout/maiden/silver/gold hook

Lovers' Lane