Oct 21, 2011

Iris DeMent: In the Spirit of Hopkins?



Some say that they're comin' back in a garden, bunch of carrots and little sweet peas.
I think I'll just let the mystery be.


Let The Mystery Be - Iris DeMent H.Q. - YouTube   

Hurrahing in Harvest by Gerard Manley Hopkins

The First Stanza:

Summer ends now; now, barbarous in beauty the stooks rise
Around; up above, what wind-walks! what lovely behaviour
Of silk-sack clouds! has wilder, wilful-wavier
Meal-drift moulded ever and melted across skies?
  


The Closure:

These things, these things were here and but the beholder
Wanting; which two when they once meet,
The heart rears wings bold and bolder
And hurls for him, O half hurls earth for him off under his feet. 








Ds


Everybody's wonderin' what and where they all came from.
Everybody's worryin' 'bout where they're gonna go when the whole thing's done.
But no one knows for certain and so it's all the same to me.
I think I'll just let the mystery be.

Some say once you're gone you're gone forever, and some say you're gonna come back.
Some say you rest in the arms of the Saviour if in sinful ways you lack.
Some say that they're comin' back in a garden, bunch of carrots and little sweet peas.
I think I'll just let the mystery be.

Let The Mystery Be - Iris DeMent H.Q. - YouTube

**

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I think she shows more "faith" then Hopkins: let the mystery be. His beholder is "wanting" and "hurls for him".

Banjo52 said...

Somewords, am I remembering correctly that she's a favorite of yours?

Unknown said...

"You Make Me Hotter Than Mojave in My Heart" is a favorite. You know she married John Prine for awhile?

Banjo52 said...

No, I didn't know that! Wow.

Lovers' Lane