Sep 21, 2010

James Tate, "The Motorcyclists"




I was browsing at Poetry Foundation, realizing I haven't posted anything by James Tate, a significant contemporary poet. I do believe I stumbled onto a companion piece to Altadenhiker's Sunday post.
(I also think visitor Gothpunkuncle referred us to this poem some time ago).

Of course, Tate's female cyclist strikes me as the opposite of the solitary thinker in my photo at left. Maybe they're all riding under this sky and by this farm in Ohio.

The Motorcyclists by James Tate : The Poetry Foundation [poem] : Find Poems and Poets. Discover Poetry.


What do you think? To borrow a line from Diner, the Tate poem is a smile, I hope, an entertaining, comfortable ride. Does it also bring us to the question of how casual a writer can be and still command our attention? Maybe tomorrow I'll browse in Tate some more and see how often he leads me to that question.

5 comments:

Jean Spitzer said...

Charming. Went from there to http://www.poetryfoundation.org/archive/poem.html?id=30072.

Banjo52 said...

Jean, thanks! I might like "yours" better than "mine." The last two sentences have a real resonance, and "what we do not know" has become a favorite theme for me.

Anonymous said...

Oh, this is savagely brilliant. I love it.

Pasadena Adjacent said...

I prefer the casual comfortable ride. Some of my best friends are lopsided people

Brenda's Arizona said...

I love this poem, for all the wrong reasons! Gotta go check out Jean's poem now. Once I stop chattering, that is...

Lovers' Lane